Sustainable Stores Program
Add a Store to the Map
Tell us about a retailer that has eliminated plastic checkout bags from their store.
Cuyahoga County is committed to eliminating single-use plastic checkout bags. The Sustainable Stores Program is an outgrowth of the Bring Your Own Bags education initiative for both Shoppers and Retailers.
The Cuyahoga County Department of Sustainability, with support from the Department of Consumer Affairs and Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District, created the Sustainable Stores Program to:
- Support retailers’ efforts to eliminate plastic checkout bags from their operations and
- Educate consumers about retailers who are taking this important step to reduce plastic waste.
Resources for Retail Stores
- Get Your Communications Toolkit
- Access Bring Your Own Bags templates, social media graphics and the Retailer Help Guide.
- Request an in-store event
- Request an event at your business to share BYOBags information with customers to reduce the demand for single-use checkout bags of all types.
- Request Signage
- While supplies last, request free BYOBags signage for storefront windows and checkouts.
Sustainable Stores Grant
In April 2023, the County awarded 31 retailers with a Sustainable Stores Grant. Congratulations to our grant recipients! The 31 winning stores are located in 17 municipalities across the county, just under half of which are in Equity Zones. Grant recipients are currently working on their projects to support the elimination of plastic checkout bags from their store operations. Projects range from rewarding customers who bring reusable bags when they shop to changing store checkout areas to better accommodate reusable bags. Visit the grant recipients to let them know that you support their efforts.