Cuyahoga County’s Sheriff Department employs more than 1000 people and our Deputy Sheriffs play a significant role in our justice system. Our Deputies provide local police assistance and court security. We also conduct investigations, have K9 units, a S.W.A.T. Team, Marine Patrol Unit, plus many more opportunities.
What You’ll Do
- Maintain security and order in the courtroom during all phases of criminal proceedings; including escort of inmates, and individuals in custody.
- Interact with Judges and other legal professionals.
- Serve and execute search warrants.
- Participate in all phases of criminal investigations relating to any felony crimes.
- State and Federal level task force work opportunities, and potential undercover work.
- Transport inmates to and from the County Correction Center and other facilities throughout the state.
- Public relations opportunities, i.e. Touch a Truck, Shop with a Cop, Trunk or Treat, etc.
What You’ll Need
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must complete Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA).
- A current and valid Peace Officer Certification meeting all requirements of the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy and the basic firearm training program.
- Valid State of Ohio Driver’s License and proof of vehicle insurance.
- Never convicted of a felony.
- Must pass background check.
Where You Can Go
There are continuous opportunities for advancement through career tracks. The career track has a direct line of advancement for the Deputy Sheriff: Deputy Sheriff > Sergeant > Lieutenant > Captain > Chief Deputy > Sheriff.
The Law Enforcement career track offers over 150 non-correctional, law enforcement opportunities, which include opportunities to advance from Security Officer or Corrections Officer to Deputy Sheriff. Continuous education, learning and growth opportunities exist within this department. You can thrive in a stable environment, positively impact the department, the community, and grow with the county.
We offer a large diversity of Assignment Opportunities to include, but not limited to: Dignitary Protection Unit Scientific Identification Unit, Warrant Unit Transport Unit, K9 Unit, FBI Task Force, U. S. Marshalls Task Force Electronic Monitoring Unit, etc.
What You Can Get
Rotating shifts are available, and overtime is offered to qualified officers. We want our employees to be healthy and motivated. Cuyahoga County will continue to offer comprehensive health care coverage and low employee cost share, dental, vision and other benefits with the flexibility that meets your unique needs. Not to mention, you will be a part of a great retirement plan offered through Ohio Public Employees Retirement Plans (OPERS). We match your contribution at 13% and after we add an additional 5%.
Search For: Deputy Sheriff
For more information, please contact
Talent Acquisition & Employment Specialist