About the Highway Design Division
The Highway Design Division of the Department of Public Works executes the County’s Capital Plan for the improvement of the County’s roadways through the effective and economic utilization of human and
fiscal resources in the preparation and review of engineering reports, detailed design plans, technical specifications and construction contract documents.
- Maintain a robust highway improvement program addressing the needs of the County
- Increase the average Pavement Condition Rating of the County Road System
- Maximize available federal and state funding in order to preserve County resources
- Allocate in-house staff economically for the timely delivery of projects for construction
- Manage outside consultant services effectively to receive the maximum benefit
- Pursue professional development of the engineering staff through continuing education
Duties of the Highway Design Division include the following
- Develop and maintain project work schedules for all Highway Design projects.
- Prepare design reports, detail plans, technical specifications, and estimates in-house.
- Review and approve reports, plans, specifications, and estimates prepared by outside consultants.
- Manage in-house staff and consulting engineers to complete projects for construction.
- Maintain, update and improve the Highway Design standards for the County.
- Maintain and update the Public Works Department’s Bid Specifications.
- Provide technical support related to roadway engineering to other divisions.
- Maintain, update and improve the traffic control and maintenance of traffic standards for the County.
- Provide technical support related to traffic engineering to other divisions.
- Maintain, update, and improve the subdivision standards for the townships in the County.
- Provide technical support related to roadway engineering and traffic engineering pertaining to subdivisions in the townships in the county.
Christopher A. George, P.E.
Chief Section Engineer – Highway Design